If you or a loved one have a tooth knocked out, act quickly to follow these steps and you will greatly increase the chances of saving the tooth.
No matter the situation, contact us immediately – 678-582-8099. The professionals at BGW Dental Group are here to help rescue the tooth if at all possible and ensure that you maintain full oral health. And your chances of saving the tooth depends on how well you preserve the tooth and how quickly you can see a dentist.
While you contact BGW, make sure you also follow these steps:
- Remain calm – panicking will only make the situation worse.
- Locate the dislodged tooth
- Gently pick it up by its crown – the chewing surface – do not touch the root!
- If it is dirty, lightly rinse it with water or milk – do not use soap or chemicals and do not scrub or dry it!
- Try to reposition the tooth in its socket – use your fingers to carefully push it into the socket or position it above the socket. Keep it in place by gently biting down or holding it in place with your fingers.
- If the dislocated tooth will not stay in place, submerge it in a cup of milk, an emergency tooth preservation kit (such as Save-A-Tooth) or in your mouth, against your cheek. Do NOT store in a cup of tap water.
These steps will give a dentist the best chance of re-implanting the tooth. However, there are some circumstances (such as a damaged root or crown) where the tooth cannot be saved. If that is the case, we will work with you to determine the best alternative – and there are many, including dental implants.
BGW’s dentists have plenty of experience in rescuing dislodged teeth, so call us immediately at 678-582-8099 and our locations in Braselton and Gainesville will be ready and willing to help.
Request an Appointment